Monday, June 8, 2015

Masterpiece Academy Question

This year in this class was a lot different than what I was use to and what I expected. The past years that I've spent in AP English, we were assigned traditional assignments in pretty traditional structures. When I signed up to take AP English Literature and Composition, I knew it would be different and I knew it would be challenging. This course has opened me up to a new style of learning, open source learning, and has helped me to improve my skills in many aspects.

In this course, us students were given a lot of trust. We have dealt with points, grades, and structure since we were little; my classmates deserved this freedom. At the beginning of the year we valued this freedom and trust. We had the option to make this course how we pleased and we had the option to decide which direction the course should go. Unfortunately by the end of the year, some students took advantage of this trust. Because we had the choice to make decisions for this course, some decided to make the choice to not do quality work, if they did the work at all.


One piece that I could relate to was The Poisonwood Bible  by Barbara Kingsolver. This book was told from 5 different perspectives and it shows how differently people handle situations. This is something that I think about often when stuck in  dilemma; I constantly try to remind myself and others that people see situations different and react to them differently as well. I would say that I relate to Rachel the most, in the sense that she refused to accept the burden. This book also dealt with feeling alone, even when you have people around you. I think that everyone can relate to this sometimes because you feel as if no one understands you and it's challenging to communicate your feelings. Another piece that we read this year that I connected with was Brave New World. We are all surrounded by a world that is constantly developing and technology is growing. There are times where I don't agree with the way society does/handles things and I feel like I can't relate to people so I just keep it to myself. Lastly I can connect with Great Expectations. Respect, self worth, and loyalty are much more important to me than wealth and social advancement. A lot of people today are so consumed with trying to become popular or rich that they lose sight of having a conscience. The theme of the story and the realizations made are something that I can relate to.


This class has connected me to being more accepting of other's ideas. Sometimes we can forget that other people have their own opinions and beliefs. Through open source learning and talking out loud with my classmates, I have seen that there can be a variety of interpretations and also opinions on a subject. This class helped reconnect me with the fact that there isn't always right or wrong; everything isn't always white or black, in literature and in life. Being open-minded will give me a big advantage when it comes to learning.

Something that made me really laugh this year would be my classmates. There were so many hilarious people in my class this year that would make comments on something we read/watched/discussed that made the mood lighter and the atmosphere more connected. Some of the comments made in class were so dorky and cute that it made it even funnier.

A unifying theme that I recognized throughout quite a few masterpieces was travel and journey; whether it was physically traveling or self discovery, everyone was on their own journey. Many people had discussed how they got to a certain point in their life, how experiences have made them who they are, and how they've had to conquer some steep hills but they keep on hiking. Brenissa talked about how she was in a bad place at a point in her life where she was sick in the hospital. She had to give up a lot of physical activity and contact sports. Through this process and this journey she found her love for hiking and the beauty of nature. Melissa discussed how she likes to travel and meet new people. My masterpieces went over experiencing different cultures and atmospheres. Shailynn showed her journey since she was a little girl and how her dreams have grown. Susel showed how she has conquered her fears and now proudly sings and performs in front of hundreds of people. Matthew/Aaron talked about their journey since birth and what that journey has been like for them. Mellany and Daniel used pictures to display a journey through high school. There was a diverse variety of masterpiece topics but they were interconnected through the power of one's journey. Everyone has a story and everyone has experiences that make them who they are.


I in no way am a hero. I am an average person that someday would like to consider myself a hero, even if it's only to one person. I want to become a doctor, I want to help people, I want to save lives, and most importantly I want to make a positive impact on people's lives. I believe my adventure is still going. I have yet to find a solid mentor, probably because I am still trying to find myself. Friends, family, and any one that has ever had faith in me and supported me are my mentors. They have helped me get to where I am and will help get me to where I want to be. Through my masterpiece I discovered the beauty in different cultures. It's going to be hard moving to Texas and leaving my friends behind, but I have came to know that this will only be the beginning. This is the time that I will set out and explore the world and see what life has to offer.

Writing this essay has made me look back on times throughout the year. There has been positive moments but negatives ones as well. This journey through senior year, and throughout high school, has been a rollercoaster.
Displaying IMG_0027.JPGDisplaying IMG_0260.JPGDisplaying FullSizeRender.jpgDisplaying FullSizeRender.jpgDisplaying FullSizeRender.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment