Sunday, January 18, 2015

AP Prep Post 1: Siddhartha

A)
1. In the beginning of the book, Siddhartha rebels against his father. Later on in the book, Young Siddhartha often rebels against Siddhartha. Which literary technique best describes this?
a) metaphor
b)anthropomorphism
c)allusion
d)foreshadowing
e)irony
2. "In the evening of this day they caught up with the ascetics, the skinny Samanas, and offered them their companionship and obedience. They were accepted."
In the context of the passage, the singular form of the word "ascetic" (line 1) most likely means
a) sybaritic
b) iconoclastic
c) stoic
d) self-abnegating
e) puritanical
http://www.learnerator.com/ap-english-literature/q/1041/siddharthas-actions
3. Siddhartha's last exchange with his friend Govinda could best be described as:
a) humorous 
b) hyperbolic 
c) self-indulgent 
d) sarcastic 
e) indifferent
http://www.learnerator.com/ap-english-literature/q/1041/siddhartha-and-govinda
4. The main purpose of the first-person point of view in the passage, “I am no longer what I was, I am no longer an ascetic, no longer a priest, no longer a Brahmin” is to make clear?
a) The change in Siddhartha’s physical lifestyle, in order to follow his spiritual one
b) Show Siddhartha’s anger at the corruption present in his father’s position
c) Reveal the frustration in Siddhartha’s journey toward enlightenment
d) The views and beliefs of his family and his religion
e) Draw attention toward the excitement that Siddhartha feels now that he has less responsibility
http://snobles.grads.digitalodu.com/blog/groups/ap-english-2012-2013/forum/topic/siddhartha-multiple-choice-questions/
5. Siddhartha eventually realizes that the techniques used by the Samanas to achieve their goals are
a) insufficient
b) abusive
c) too efficient
d) necessary
e) disciplined
http://www.learnerator.com/ap-english-literature/q/1041/samanas-goals

B)
1. d
2. d
3. a
4. e
5. a

C) AP questions require the reader to have a strong vocabulary which is something I aim to achieve. Once I strengthen my vocabulary, it'll help me to better understand the questions/answers. For the AP test I'm going to have to be able to slow down and absorb what I'm reading, but at the same time I can't go too slow since it's timed. I need to work on analyzing what I read and the approach I take to critical thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment