Wednesday, February 4, 2015

What's the Story?

I think Charles Dickens wrote Great Expectations because it in someway related to his life. After doing some research I came to find that David Copperfield was also based on his personal experiences. When he wrote this book, his life was at a major turning point. He had moved away, divorced his wife, and alienated himself from his friends. Dickens is comparing a past generation with the present one which he doesn't care for. The book is about homecoming and finding oneself which I believe Dickens was trying to do at this time. Pip symbolizes Dickens and how he is searching to find himself. The tone of the characters helped me to understand Dickens' attitude. The lecture we had in class helped me to overall gather a better understanding of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment